Saturday, February 25, 2006

Okay, so I've been busy.

Ah.... What's the excuse this time? It's been so long between entries that I forgot how to get to the blogger dashboard. Life is just too crazy.

It's almost spring here. Part of me is thrilled, and part of me was almost enjoying winter. It's okay, there'll be another winter along, probably well before we're ready for it. I planted garlic in the garden today, so there's something in the ground at last. I don't know how it will do as this isn't technically the right time to put it in, but the two and a half heads I had sitting on the shelf in the kitchen were all doing their darnedest to grow. I figured, if they were that committed to the idea then why fight it? So I broke up the cloves and set them free. Who knows? Maybe it will produce a bumper crop. The seed potatoes I ordered came while we were in Tucson. They substituted one variety, which annoyed me a little, as I had chosen the ones I ordered specifically, but what can you do? They won't go into the ground for another 4-6 weeks, but I need to get them into paper bags under the kitchen sink to sprout. Then there's the seed order that needs to go in before the end of next week, and the fruit trees that will ship on the first of April. Oh, and then there's the house.

We are still living in the little trailer. Sometime around the end of October we built a small room (8x20) along side it with a bathroom of sorts and space for the wringer washer and a deep freeze. The two older kids have bunk beds in there too. It's still crazy small, but we've survived and adapted pretty well, I think. Anyway, hoping to start the house by the end of March. Nobody is allowed to make any more major changes, like building material, method, or location. I'm working on the drawings for the county and, so far, the conversations I've had with the inspector have been very positive. The house is going to be monolithic adobe (or cob, depending on who you're talking to. I like thinking of it as adobe better as it is more traditional to the area, but it's all the same thing.) two stories, 2000 sqft living space, and an attached greenhouse on the south side for passive solar gain. The walls will be 18 inches thick and the whole thing is just way cool. I cannot wait to get started.


It has only been nine months since we left Vegas. Typing that I thought, wait! that can't be right, but it is. Only nine months. In some ways it seems like we've always been here.

So, until the next post..... whenever that may be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home