Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Covered Wagon Days

For Christmas, when I was seven or eight, my mom got me the set of Little House on the Prairie books, (you know, the paperback set with the yellow covers that came in a box printed with blue gingham?). They are the first books I remember reading, and I read them over and over again. I was fascinated by the idea of loading up a wagon and leaving everything you've known to build new from scratch. So, here I am, close to 30 years later, in my covered wagon. They've made some improvements over the years. My wagon is TWICE the size of a Conestoga wagon, the "prairie schooner" made famous by American History textbooks far and wide, and it has running water and a fridge. Clearly, I'm not comparing apples to apples here, as the good ol' conestoga could not have been expected to have things that grand houses of the same period still lacked, and I'm sure those hearty pioneers would have enjoyed a flush toilet and an internet connection as much as I do, and for quality of workmanship and sheer carrying capacity I think the conestoga has me beat. I am completely sure I couldn't get the amount of food into this place that the Ingles' packed into theirs, but then, I'm a wuss and my adventure is nothing compared to theirs, but it's mine.

Anyway, we are still alive. Of course, there's been some drama, some claustraphobia, but on the whole we are adapting. We're at the point where the novelty has worn off for the kids and they're starting to settle into a routine. They're making friends and Jacob is headed off to scout camp next Monday. Last Friday Rodney and I had to go back to Vegas to sign the house papers. I didn't want to go. It's been so nice here and Vegas was unbearably hot. Like, right now here it's 84 degrees according to my thermometer outside and Vegas is..... just a second, let me check..... 93 degrees. Hmm, it always seemed hotter than that. Nevertheless, it is comfortable here outside all day, chilly, around 50 at night, and there is always a breeze. (sometimes more than a breeze...) There are robins here. Rodney is very happy about that. He's a bird person, I'm not so much. I've never seen a live robin before coming here. What's the big deal with these guys? Can someone explain the far reaching fame of these birds? They're nice enough, but I must be missing part of the story.

The biggest problem I'm having is finding a quiet moment to write this blog. Never being more than five feet from anyone else, and the comprehensive failure of anyone else to be quiet for ten minutes, is making it difficult to concentrate. This afternoon the kids have been over in the pool and Rodney is gone until probably Thursday in Vegas doing bee experiments for the lab, so I had a little quiet. Ah, but here's Jacob now.....

The house was supposed to close today. Will be interesting to see if it did. I haven't heard anything from the realtor. As soon as we get that money we can start the new house, well, after scout camp :::::grumble:::::

More later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Christine! I'm glad you guys are doing well, and that the kids are getting into somewhat of a routine, and they aren't driving you too crazy...LOL Hope the house closed ok, I'm sure you'll let us know if it doesn't...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys!
Thanks so much for the book and your sweet note! I haven't started it yet, but I will this weekend, we're leaving Thursday for 4 days in Branson....keep your fingers crossed for us that Ben doesn't freak out too bad! ;-)
ttfn
Kim

June 1, 2005 at 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christine,
I am so glad that you are blogging again. I love reading one of my favorite authors at a turning point in her life :).

Way to throw off the bowlines, my friend! Congratulations. (I love the book, and your note was very dear.)

Kerri

June 1, 2005 at 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home