Monday, November 15, 2004

Where does the time go?

Last Friday, the 12th, was going along pretty much normal. I went out in the afternoon with Rodney to do a couple of bee jobs. We were clear over on the other side of town in Sun City Summerlin (beware the golf cart crossings!) when my dad called to let me know he and mom were in Caliente and headed our way. I didn't even know they were in Nevada. Last I'd heard they were in Eureka, CA and headed north, but that was the week before... Anyway, we had unexpected overnight houseguests, which was very nice. They drove out Saturday afternoon, headed home to see what was left of the houseplants.

Most of my concentration for the last week has been devoted to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. This is the most amazing book I've read in a very long time. I am in awe of this woman's accomplishment. The thing is 800 pages long, and as I got closer to the end I was deeply torn between the intense desire to see how it was going to turn out and the sadness at leaving the company of so many interesting characters. Now that it's done I'm left trying to decide between moving on to some of the more necessary reading that I've neglected and just starting over and reading Strange and Norrell again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home