Friday, November 05, 2004

Well.

A well is a deep hole in the ground which is wet and cold at the bottom. And dark. This is also a good description of the feelings of many people after the election..... Well.

I was grouchy on my e-mail loop and offended people Wednesday. I've been trying to come up with a decent apology since then, but haven't started anything that wasn't along the lines of "I'm sorry, BUT....." I guess I need to cool off a little more. In addition to my chronic disorganization problem, I am also an acknowledged political junkie. I CANNOT hold my politics and become belligerent and unsightly after only moderate social use. I was on the wagon for a while, but fell off around January of this year. Since then I've been binging heavily, using every spare moment surfing newspapers, blogs, watchdogs, all while listening to BBC World Service. The radios in the kitchen, bedroom, and car are all set to the NPR news station, and then there are the magazines..... oh, the magazines. There was so much evidence. It seemed impossible that this man could be re-elected. Who says the impossible can't happen? This is America, land of impossible ...... things.

Anyway, I'm back in re-hab. Strictly entertainment radio. No newspapers. I changed my browser homepage to a totally non-political homemaking site. I set aside the magazines. I will especially not touch the Blueprint magazine. I will nod and make interested noises when my husband feels the need to rant about the president, but I will not contribute to the rant. I'm hoping that by the end of the month I'll be ready to check the headlines.

You know, I don't care if people disagree with me. In fact, I encourage debate as the only way to better society. But if you can't support your opinions with fact, if you don't know why you feel the way you do, if your research into the issues consists of watching commercials and/or letting someone else tell you what to think then I get angry because democracy is not a spectator sport.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I am right there with you abstaining from all news for as long as it takes me to regain my self-control. It is so difficult to escape the constant barrage of news and commentaries; you might think I could have my alarm clock set to the local classic rock station, but it isn’t even safe there. I woke up this morning to a news flash that made me go straight to the computer to once again look at the option of moving to Canada. I don’t know that I would actually move, at least not yet, but I like knowing that I have that option. For now I will just continue to plug along…Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in….

November 5, 2004 at 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home