Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Halleluiah!!!!

In a flash of blinding inspiration, I remembered my blogspot password. It's been weeks since Rodney performed some act of ritual hard-drive cleansing and vaporized the cookie that had faithfully logged me into my blog since the day I started it nine months ago. For days after I tried every potential password I could think of -- to no avail. Finally I gave up and attempted to e-mail support and beg mercy for my memory loss. It didn't take long to discover that you can't e-mail support.... unless you sign in first. Huge lot of good that is. I created a new account simply to e-mail for help. They never responded. I'd completely given up hope and was looking for a new place to start over, when suddenly, there it was -- the password -- right there in my head, acting like it had never left. I thought, no, that can't be it.... that's too easy, but here I am.

We've done so much since my last post. It's going to take a while to get caught up. I have all these big ideas for interesting entries, but I keep getting behind and offering up nothing but laundry lists of activity, so, I'm ignoring the past for a minute to tell you about the flood we had today. (With the exception of the fact that we bought a 1989 Toyota Land Cruiser last Thursday. It is an amazing and wonderful vehicle that has been named Roxanne. It has four-wheel drive and a granny gear, and it will drive up and over ANYTHING. I've always wanted this car and I love it. :)

So, this morning, around 5am, this massive thunderstorm rolls in and it proceeds to rain buckets for the next six hours. About the time the storm was winding up, we realize that the shed out on the land hadn't been closed the night before. Uh-oh. Rodney and Isaac take the land cruiser out to check on the shed and see how the house site has dealt with all the moisture. They drive out with no problems, no water over the road, the washes are dry, so they continue up to check the shed. Ten minutes later a six foot wall of water comes ripping down the wash out of the hills to the east. There was a fence along the road where it dipped through the wash -- the kind made from metal stakes and wire -- and the metal stakes were bent double from the force of the water. They were stuck out there for hours until the water receeded enough to drive through and Rodney and Joe (who lives up the hill from our place) were able to clear the giant sandbars that had collected where the road used to be. I went out to check on them a few hours after the flood started and all I could do was stand on one bank and holler as loud as I could, while trying to pantomime what he couldn't hear. It was an interesting day. The county will come out and fix the main road tomorrow, if it doesn't rain, but it looks like we've lost our back road. The back road was narrow, but easily passible, even for the minivan.... before. Now it has a four foot drop at the bank of the wash. At least we didn't lose any land ourselves. The wash that flooded doesn't actually cross our property. The guy next door lost at least five feet of bank into the water. What a year my poor little county is having! I wonder which will be next, pestulance or plague? Anyway, were it not for the lovely Roxanne they would have been in a world of hurt, as nothing without four-wheel drive would have made it home.

More tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home