A little bit of backlog.
So many blog-able things happened last week that I didn't have time to write about any of them. Here are the highlights.
The money from the house showed up Wednesday afternoon. Only 15 days past the alleged closing date. At least the sale didn't fall through.
The better part of three exciting days spent perk testing the soil where the septic is going to be. Can't really find words to express the thrill of putting water in a hole and measuring the depth at specific intervals. The good news is that the test finally reached its completion and the site is fine for our needs.
We bought a tractor, and not just any generic tractor, but a vintage 1952 Ferguson rebuilt and restored. It is a very cool machine with nice lines and it has already cut us a new road. It is the Cary Grant of farm machinery.
One major question has finally been settled. We're not going off-grid at this time. We're a little disappointed, but intend to grow slowly into an alternative power system. Frankly, we can't afford it right now. The power company gave us an estimate Friday for just under $4000 to bring in the line. We were looking at over $10,000 for the solar/wind system and all the necessary adjustments to make it work. I decided that it's more important right now to be practical and have enough money to finish the house, than to be stubborn and bull-headed and push forward with the solar simply because so many said we couldn't do it.
The ward camp-out was Friday night. We went for dinner, but since we've been camping for a month now we decided to pass on staying overnight. It was held out at Cathedral Gorge and we had a good time exploring the nooks and crannies.
Jacob was the youth speaker in Church yesterday. This was his first talk. He was nervous, but he did well. I think he is proud of himself.
Today Rodney and the boys are gravelling the new road and I'm home sick with a cold. I needed to spend some time on paperwork anyway, so I guess I'd better make good use of my down time.
Later.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home